Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Training with twins?

So I'm having twins (not me personally but my wife), and at the same time I will be training for IM Florida. Does anyone have any tips? Am I biting off more than I can chew? I know my parents, and my in laws are worried I (we) won't be able to cope, especially as we don't have family here in the US. Has anyone done this before?

Some of my thoughts..
The babies are due in April/May and my serious IM training is not due to kick off until August
I enjoy cycling on my trainer, therefore babies in the cot next to the trainer while cycling seems possible
Same thing with the running machine, swimming may be more difficult!
Will I be too tired to train? Or does this come under, if you want something bad enough you grind through it. I'll be tired from training anyway.

Other people have told me, you do what you can and you go out there and enjoy it.
So any tips how to enable training and look after new borns? Or am I mad?

6 comments:

Team Brazo said...

We didn't have twins, but we do have a 9 & 14 yr old. From my experience they sleep quite a bit as infants -- so our schedule/plans didn't change. Once they are walking -- that's a bit more of a challenge -- but they still sleep quite a bit. I wasn't doing IronMan's at the time, but having kids would not have stopped me.

Enjoy every day...

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

We had twins 2 days before our son was turning 2. Now I was far from training for a IM at the time but I can tell you it is a very tiring experience.

The fact that you like the trainer and the treadmill will be a plus. But be prepared to have your training stopped when you might not want it stopped.

Most important don't expect your wife to do it all. She will need all the help you can give her.

But yes you will be tired, that much I can guarantee you of.

LBTEPA said...

You'll certainly have to re-evaluate everything when the babies come! I thnk the most important thing is to keep talking things over with your wife and make sure she feels supported. That way she'll be more inclined to make allowances for your big project. It might be that you DO have to do what you can and just do your best on the day. There are other years to blitz your PB

RunBubbaRun said...

I guess if there is a will there is a way.. Or less sleep anyways.

I think the most important thing is what the wife has to say about it..

I have one kid and have to juggle alot and put in early morning workouts.. BUt definetly have to balance everything..

Iain said...

Hey Tim, my Sis (Shell who comments on my blog) has twins and her hubby did IMFl with me in 2005. Heck they were fun on a 9hr flight!!!!!!!!!!!!! He didn't go near a pb, but he beat me (due to me DNFing :( )

I'll stick a pic up on my next entry of them over there.

As for me, I'm to selfish to have kids!!

Merry Christmas from the proper side of the pond :)

TJ said...

brazo is right. they sleep a lot. only thing is, they don't always sleep at night. i wan't training for IM when my daughter was an infant, but i think the biggest thing will be allowing yourself the flexibility to move, shorten, or miss a workout from time to time.