Tuesday, November 13, 2007

What went right? What went wrong?


So now with my first Ironman completed I need to sit back and look at this year and decide what worked and what did not, and decide how my training for next year will go.

As you know I have signed up for Florida next year, so I am in exactly the same place I was this time last year, except I am not a novice anymore.

What did not work well..
I trained almost solidly from 1st Jan through to Nov 3rd, this was 11 months of solid training. I think this is why I felt burnt out and seriously let my training slip during July (6months of training). Because I was unsure how much training to do, I completed 2 cycles of 1/2 IM training and then a full cycle of IM training this led to burn out, and a lack of interest in training I'm sure.
Therefore this year I think I will try some maintenance training until May/June time i.e 1 long swim a week, with some weight training, cycling and running thrown in to maintain my fitness. Then in July follow a full IM training plan.
What needs to be improved..

I only completed one century ride this year (a number of rides 80 miles), and felt I suffered for it on the IM ride, I felt tired from 90miles onwards. My overall time was 6hrs 30, and I was very happy with that, but more cycling might help me feel fresher off the bike, as well as slightly reducing that time. I have a couple of centuries penned in for next year.

What went wrong..
My running at the beginning of the year was great, however it deteriorated a bit through the year, also due to ankle issues, I completed very few long runs. Next year will be all about increasing my time on my feet.

So what worked well..
The amount of swimming, I swam close on 100miles over the 12 months leading into IM FL, and I was rewarded with a 1hr 15min swim time. I did so much swimming last year as I could not swim 100yds freestyle at the beginning of the year.
Next year I think I will reduce my pool swimming and try and get more open water swimming (hate swimming in a pool, especially as the pool in our building is only 12 odd meters long (over 300 lengths to 2.4m). I am not looking to speed my swim time up at all.

The races I completed really helped me focus on IM, I think I will do the same sort of things, but maybe some smaller races this year. I would like to get 1 1/2 before florida next year, and hopefully improve upon my dismal Steelhead showing.
Great Illini 1/2 IM, Twin Lakes, etc

My goal for next year is to not go drastically faster I just want to be able to run a large portion of the marathon. This year was a 6hrs 20 odd marathon. If I could knock an hour of this then I get down in the 13hrs area which would be fantastic (conditions on the day limiting).
And as with this year make sure I enjoy my events.

Race plan for next year is still under discussion with the boss... something about having 2 new borns may conflict with some races??? Any tips from anyone else what worked well for you?

5 comments:

Team Brazo said...

RE: (hate swimming in a pool...)

I hear ya!!

Paul said...

Bravo, well done mate ......

Jumper 2.0 said...

You know what kinda sucks.

I get all this great info from experienced triathletes, podcasts like simplystu, tri-talk and gygo. Yet, some things I have to just go out and screw up before I understand.

The good, the bad, either way, you did great. And with your attitude your only going to get better AND enjoy it.

RunBubbaRun said...

I think century rides should definetly help.. Long swims at TRIbeach (ohio street) is a good thing also.

But I realized after the 1st year, you will get a little smarter at the IM training thing and get less burned out. Now you know what to expect

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Congrats to you IronTriTim!! I was there in Florida, and I saw you and your wife when we walked into the bar, but somehow didn't get to meet you guys. But there's definitely next year!

Congrats on your twins!!