Friday, November 9, 2007

Afterwards

At this point I felt really good, got my photos taken and tried to walk around a bit before heading to the massage tent. I probably went there a little quickly, and they took me into the tent about 5 mins after finishing.

I laid down and tried to relax as the massage started, however I had started to get pins and needles all over my body, and I couldn't relax my hands. I was fed broth to try and hydrate me, however I started to get nauseous. A couple of visits from the Doc and I was off to the med tent (not how I wanted this to end). The med team were great, finding Gemma to let her know what was going on and that I was fine.

In the med tent they weighed me and I had lost weight (big shock there!). I was wrapped in multiple blankets, sat in front of a heater and given gatorade. I was offered an IV, however I did not feel I deserved an IV so declined it, I was only thirsty and cold. I have since been told that I would have felt better instantly. I was diagnosed as being hypothermic and de-hydrated. After about 20 mins of sitting in front of the heater I went back for my massage, and caught up with Gemma.

I wanted to wait and see the last hour of an Ironman finish, but I was so tired we headed home (stopping at Burger King for a big greasy burger, fries and milk shake).

And that was my day. It is a day I will never forget.



4 comments:

tri-mama said...

Well done Tim! I'm in the process of updating and changing my blog, but I'll link you up as soon as it's done.

Formulaic said...

Very inspirational. To think that you had never done a tri before signing up for an Ironman!

12 months of training and you did it! Totally awesome. Very encouraging.

Thank you.

Jumper 2.0 said...

Hey congrats on Ironman and the new blog.

That is so awesome that you get to start off your blog with an ironman finish. I forget what I first wrote about as far as physical activity but I am sure it has something to do with wheezing after running 2/10ths of a mile.

And yes, tri-mama and tacman are awesome. I have had limited time with them and just can't help but feel that its not enough. Did you meet Ironjenny too? I imagine you did.

Again, welcome.

I'll make sure to visit here!

Di said...

Nice report!

You are going to be linked on TriMama's blog?!?!?! Wow!!
;)