Friday, November 9, 2007

T2 and a short slog of 26.2 miles

Up to this point I had not managed to pee, and my body decided that upon sitting down in T2 that this would be the best time to go. (Really sorry to anyone who sat in the chair after me!). Glad I was not planning on running in my cycling shorts.
Stripped off, changed and got ready to run. Up to this point I have always considered myself as someone who can run. (3 marathons, couple of half's and some shorter distance). In the weeks leading up to IM I have had ankle troubles, no idea what they are. I had them x-rayed and there was no break evident, however I have since been told a hairline break may not show, there was also a concern it could be plantar facitis. In some of my training runs it has flared up, and I had been unable to walk. So going out of T2 I guess the ankle concern rested on my mind.

I tried running
the first few miles and just couldn't get it going. It wasn't until about mile 6 that I managed a complete mile run. Over the first 13miles I continually battled with my mental side to get myself to run. I probably managed 4 miles of running over the first 13. I felt some cramp and ankle pains so didn't want to risk anything. Think the picture explains exactly how I felt.

I knew when I hit the turn around I would see the finish line, and I wondered how I would react seeing the finish line was so close, however I didn't feel down about having to go back out. A long hard stare at the line and thoughts of "I'm coming back" and "I'll see you in a few hours" went through my mind, and I was able to pick up my special needs bag which contained a good luck card and more messages really helped.

The second half was a continuous walk (managed 15min miles), I think I had got complacent in my mind by this point, I knew I was going to be an Ironman, and my time would be way better than I expected. I got a bit emotional at this point as I started to remind myself that I was only 3 hours from being an Ironman. Sucked it up and continued to walk into the dark. Passing the final turnaround was great, only 6 miles to go. The last few miles were a whirl I was so excited, 11 months of training had all come down to this moment and I wanted to enjoy it. Its funny though I remember enjoying it, but the actually memories of what went through my mind have quickly gone.

The last mile was spent mostly looking over my shoulder and trying to keep distance between myself and the people around me, then into the final straight I'd timed it that no one was in site behind and the guy in front was 100m's ahead. I had the whole chute to myself (I ran this bit) and felt all the cheering directed at me. In my mind I told myself this is what pure joy feels like. Remembered Iron Kahuna's photo finish and knew I wanted something like that, so put on a big smile, raised my arms and listened to Mike Reilly welcoming me in.


Because Gemma had volunteered at the finish line they allowed her to stay on after her shift finished and she was able to meet me at the line and put the medal over my shoulders (great moment). Overall time 14.25.06. (So much for worrying about the cutoffs)


3 comments:

Team Brazo said...

Excellent!! Wasn't it a great feeling knowing that you'd be an IronMan that day -- and you still had a few hours to go?? I went into the day not knowing if I could actually pull this IronMan thing off -- but after a few miles on the run -- I knew I had it done (unless I screwed it up by going to fast).

IronTriTim said...

Great doesn't even come close.. I was over the moon and close to tears (crazy I know), Every time I said your're going to be an Ironman. Up until that point i'd been fine, but mile 14/15 seemed to do it! Was fine later???

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Fantastic race report, thank you for sharing. I hope to someday be able to be an Ironman.

Great pictures as well.