Thursday, May 29, 2008

Chicago Chase Corporate Challenge


Chase Corporate Challenge
Ran the chase corporate challenge last week, no photos or garmin track for this post as the computer that has the garmin software on it is currently dead (needs a new graphics card).

The good..
Had a great time ran a 26.15 for the 3.5miles (7.5 ish min miles). This by far was a PB for me across that distance. 2 years ago it was my first race in my new healthy lifestyle and ran it in 35 mins. So it was great to come back and see how much I had achieved.
Newtons felt great, performed really well and with the new shoes I continue to not have blisters.

The bad.. (my rant)
23600 people complete this race, so as you can guess it can be quite congested as its only 3.5 miles. However the organisers try to take this into account by trying to set minutes per mile banners at the start to give people an idea of where they should be lining up. However... not everyone seems to understand how fast 7 minute miles really are.

Walking is not 7 minutes per mile! 2 years ago when I ran this I started in the 10 minute section and ending up walking almost the first half mile, so this year I lined up at the 7min mile knowing I would run between that and 8 min mile. However there were a large number of idiots walking and running very slowly who did not seem to understand why they should line up correctly.

Also these walkers/runners tend to run in pairs meaning all of a sudden the path is blocked in front of you. Afraid after the 4th or 5th last second dodge around people, I lost my patience and barged between the next pair. (hangs head in shame, I know very rude). I did notice all the dodging did tweak my hamstrings a bit while they were cold and it took a while to warm up properly.
After the first mile it was easier to move through the crowd as everyone is running roughly the same pace.

Baby update..
Babies are still not here, Gemma has her c-section planned for 6th June, so only a few more weeks of just the two of us.

8 comments:

LBTEPA said...

Well done on the improvement :)
And very best wishes for the new arrivals!!

Jumper 2.0 said...

June 6th is almost the perfect day ;-)
My b-day is the 7th.

Anyway, congrats on the race, I hope to avg 7.5's by the end of the year for that distance as well.

Formulaic said...

That's a nice run! Way to improve.

That is a lot of people. I have been in something like that before and it's CRAZY!

Looking forward to your report of June 6th! Twenty fingers and Twenty toes!

Paul said...

That's so true, I've been running in the London Corp challenge since 91, and its exactly the same. You get 15 minute milers up at the 5 minute mile start mark!!!!

Good time Tim, despite having to dodge the plonkers.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

I know how you feel - I've had that race, where the walkers line up on the 5 minute mile line. Argh! some races just aren't right for a pR, eh?

It's so great your babies are happy where they are - tell them they can stay as long as they want. heh.

RunBubbaRun said...

Yeah that corporate event is a little crazy.. So many people, not even sure how you could get a descent run out of it.. Great job..

ps. I have some friends who did the Great Illini last year..If you don't mind the small crowds, it was a descent race..

Unknown said...

Wow - race sounds like it was crazy! Congrats on the improvement though.

And best of luck to you and Gemma on Friday!!! We can't wait to see pictures!

Ryan said...

More people did that run than live in my dinky little hillbilly town, CRAZY!

I know someone ;) who "might" blow snot rockets on those walkers who block the road. I'm sure it is by accident though.