Friday, April 18, 2008

IM Florida Plan 2008

Just starting to finalise our 2008 IM plans. How to get there, number of days there etc.

Last year we drove from Chicago to Panama City Beach (2000 miles there and back), however with the twins being here when we head down to PCB we have decided that a 2 day cross country drive may be too much, so instead we are going to fly down there.

Also Gemmas parents are likely to be in Venice Beach during that period, so the plan is..
  • Fly down to Sarasota/Bradenton from Chicago on the 24th, and then head down to Venice to meet Gemmas parents. Spend a few days by the beach getting the bike setup and getting a few beach swims and runs to acclimatise.
  • Then I will drive up to PCB on the Wed 29th Oct, Gemma is probably going to stay with her parents this year due to the complications of moving the twins around. She is not happy as she has been to every one of my events.
  • Then spending 29th Oct through to the 2nd or 3rd Nov in PCB before heading back to Venice, and then flying back to Chicago on the 7th Nov.
Would love to meet any bloggers who are going to be around, maybe a meetup on the Wednesday/Thursday night? Sherpa help, friendly faces on the course would greatly appreciated.

This leads to the second reason of my post.. bike boxes. One of the reasons we drove last year was the concern of my bike getting damaged, going all that way and my race being ruined due to a damaged bike.
So if we are flying I guess I need to consider a bike box. I have looked online and found a nice one for under $300 Trico Sports Iron Case. What cases have other people used, is there one people can recommend?

Looked at renting and because I don't belong to a Tri Club its likely to cost around $100.

Looking at the airline they will charge me $50 to fly the bike, so not too bad. I think I will get future use out of having a bike box.

And yes I know travelling with twin babies on a plane will not be easy either!

8 comments:

LBTEPA said...

With twins you will have the 'awwww' factor on your side - the cabin crew will think they are so adorable they will be extra helpful. Also they'll be pretty young = easy to carry around (ie not running away/arguing/screaming).
How exciting!

TJ said...

Sounds like a solid plan to me. I couldn't imagine driving that far with twin babies.

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say hi. I just found your blog and will keep checking in!!! I've book marked it on my blog too. When I get a chance, I'll looks back and get caught up! My husband and I are doing IMFL this year. He did it last year and this will be my first IM distance race. Good luck with flying there - we did it last year and decided that with 2 of us and all of our stuff, driving would be our best bet. We'll be in PCB from the 29th through the 3rd.

Jumper 2.0 said...

I suggest joining a club. Not just for the free box to use, there are so many benefits and so much to learn from others. Plus, its nice to join others for a run once in a while.
That case does look nice.
Hey, maybe 18 years from now, you'll be doing an IM with the twins. That would be cool

RunBubbaRun said...

I think that bike box should be good enough, how can you go wrong with "iron case"

Also that bike service they offer to transport your bike might cost the same overall. That might be an option as well.

Jumper idea about joining a triclub might help you to train for IMFL as well. plus give you tips on traveling to an IM.

Iain said...

Ah, the joys of flying with kids. We flew in 2005 with my sisters twins (they were a bit older that yours will be). 9hrs of one or the other of them screaming the place down. Thankfully most other people on the flight were older grandparent folks and they seemed to love them. I can't say what I wanted to do in case my sister reads this ;-).

We're flying Manchester - Atlanta then Atlanta - PCB then having a full fortnight out there, chillin, chillin and then chillin some more.

Proper training starts next Thursday (6 months to go).

Ryan said...

Tim,

I'll meet up with you in PCB before the race. . . . . . .


as long as there are no twin babies around :)

I live about 90 miles from PCB, much easier for me.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

I'd love to see you and Gemma and the girls! Email me at ironjenny@mac.com and I will give you my cell# to enter into your contact list.
I am staying at the host hotel with my friends Erin, Eric and Julie - Erin's doing her first IM!