Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Shamrock Shuffle 8k

First race of the year, first race in my Newtons, first race where I really enjoyed it, longest run since IM Florida!

Thats the summary of my race. As mentioned in a previous post, this race last year was a PR for me, however this year I had decided it would be a race to enjoy and to run with a training partner.

Finished with a time of 43.52. Nothing amazing but finished feeling great. (8.45min miles)
All the way round I could have certainly kicked it up a notch (and possibly even beaten my last years PR of sub 40 mins), but wanted to be able to run with friends and enjoy the race. (Notice the IM Florida finisher cap, saw another finishers cap on the course and passed on my congratulations.)
Weather was cold (35degF), hence the stockings and running coat.

The outcome from the race has given me confidence that my fitness has not dropped off as much as I thought since IM FL, also I am starting to believe that the Newtons can make a difference. So from the last post of saying I am 50/50 on the Newtons, I am more 70/30 in favour. However I do not think they are treadmill shoes, I have found them far more effective when running outside.

My 305 gave an interesting course map (think the high buildings in the city may have had an effect!) I'll save those for another post.

It was cold, at the start but once I got going it was a really nice temperature, the race was nicely organised and unlike the Marathon plenty of water on the course!



6 comments:

RunBubbaRun said...

Great job running out there..

It is really cool to wear your IM stuff when your racing..

Formulaic said...

Way to go on running a fun race.

It's always nice to support friends especially when you 'know' you could give it more.

Looking forward to the Garmin RR. I don't run with a lot of tall buildings so I am curious how it screws/skews the system up.


P.S.

I can't get the pictures to display.

IronTriTim said...

Thanks Formulaic. Sorted pictures.

Taconite Boy said...

hey bigun did you see the pics on tried tim's site?

I Think by all I dicarion of the hat he's wearing

TIM IS AN IRONMAN!

;)

Glad you had a good run

Iain said...

Welcome back to the world of racing(ish) :-).

My Garmin brings out some interesting maps at times to, but they're screwed more by high trees than buildings.

Glad you enjoyed the race, roll on the next one.

IronTriTim said...

In two posts I have Tac in his IM hat, then me, Tac, one day just maybe bigun will also have an IM hat! (If he shops on ebay.... just kidding go Bigun)