Wednesday, July 9, 2008

First Tri of the Season, Baby Update and BFIT Contest

Last week was my first triathlon - Twin Lakes Sprint Tri.
I completed this race last year so wanted to gauge myself compared to last year, and as its my local race I wanted to give it my support.

I didn't really have any goals for this race, it was a just see how I am doing. Due to babies and far less training in the first half of the year compared to last year, I wanted to see how my fitness was holding up.

My time from last year..
Swim (0.5 miles) 11:29 , Bike (16 miles) 47:23 , Run (5 miles) 43:26
Overall time - 1:42:18

The night before the sky opened up and dumped a ton of rain down, so I was half expecting the event to get cancelled, but infact the morning ended up being fantastic.

Swim went well (wetsuit still fit, last time it got an outing was IM FL), felt like I was gliding through the water, also I was in a slower wave of swimmers so it was really nice to be able to lead everyone. (Rarely happens with me!, yep thats me at front!)

Finished nicely in a time of 11.42 (just a few seconds slower than last year, and with far less swim training this year).

Also had an enjoyable bike, didn't push too hard just stayed within a comfortable range. Fell off as I dismounted on the wet road, but no injuries. Bike time of 48.19 (1 min slower than last year)

The run as well was enjoyable, little cramp towards the end but that was my own fault for not taking enough GUs. Run time was 47.36 (4 mins slower)

Finished in an overall time of 1hr 47. 5 mins slower than last year. I was really happy with this. Having not trained anywhere near as much as last year I expected this to be far slower.

By the way if you get a chance please vote for me in the B-FIT-BDay Contest . I am Tim Davies. I completed this in honour of my twin babies birthday completing 3 miles swim, 30 mile ride, and a 10 mile run all in 4 days around their birth. My story is here..
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Babies are doing well, if there goal is to keep mummy and daddy up at all hours of night! J/K we are all having some really wonderful times. I am managing to keep up about 70% of my training. If it wasn't for the fact I got very sweaty on the bike trainer I am sure I would have fed them while cycling.


This weekend I have a 2 mile open water swim race, and the girls might get to attend their first event.

11 comments:

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Good race Tim, I am sure if you wanted to push it you could have beat last year. Girls look great hope they get to enjoy your race.

You got my vote.

Formulaic said...

I agree. I think that if you wanted to you could have beaten your time. It is good to know your limits and not go too hard for a fun race.

Way to go out there. Glad to hear you didn't get injured.

Good job keeping up the workouts!

And the babes look great!

Unknown said...

Sounds like the race went well! Great job! Good luck with the open water race coming up.

The picture of the girls is too cute! They are getting so big!

Oh... and you got my vote - you're winning by a long shot! :)

Michele said...

great race.

what beautiful girls they are getting so big.

Iain said...

I was beginning to think those girls had got the better of you, it'd been so long since you blogged :-)
If they're like my sisters twin boys they'll sleep in shifts to make sure you're awake for the longest possible amount of time.
Good race considering the training. I've led a couple of swim packs but much prefer following a pair of feet. People stupid enough to follow my blind lead normally end up zig zagging all over the place.
4.5 months to go :-D

Team Brazo said...

Wow, 70% training with new twins -- that is impressive.

As far as your question regarding my aero position -- it was certainly the fit. I did the bike fit myself last year and then had a local bike shop confirm it. The problem was that my bike seat slipped down -- causing shoulder pain. Once I moved that bike seat up, all was good.

For me -- it was all in the bike fit.

Iain said...

Ah heck............ Just realised it's 3.5 months not 4.5.

Damn.

Panic has just set in on this side of the pond.

Ryan said...

It is amazing that you are able to train at all. If I had newborn twins I would be curled up in the fetal position with a baby bottle full of vodka, totally incoherent. Goo Goo, need mo' Vodka!!

Di said...

you are doing great! 2 newborns (beautiful I must add) work, home, wife and training, holy mackeral.
can't wait to see you guys in November!

Bigun said...

dem's some cute kiddies!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Great job on the sprint and the BfitBday challenge! And the twins are adorable!