Sunday, January 6, 2008

Extreme Cycling and temperatures of 52 Deg F!

This week I started one of my new classes, extreme cycling, also the 305 got its first indoor usage (HRM only). Extreme cycling is sort of a cross between spin classes and floor exercises (star jumps etc), not at the same time though, actually there was pressups on the bike!

Takes 45 mins and I was knackered at the end. I aim to do this once a week along with a class on core training and a pilates class. I am lucky that these classes are paid for by work, and I can do them in the middle of the day. So when I have had a really bad day (most days it seems) I can disapear to the gym for an hour an exhaust myself before going back to work.


Downloaded my 305 data for the extreme cycling. This is using the Garmin software and nicely shows my HR.


52 Deg F!
Yep in cold old chicago it got up to 52 degF (thats 12 deg C for Iain my cross the pond reader!). All the snow we had had pretty much melted over night, leaving the roads clear and suitable for me to get out and about.


So I wrapped up and decided today was the day for the 305's first outdoor run out, as well as trying out the Newtons for the first time.


It was nice out if a little damp and I was able to maintain a fairly nice trot, the action of running on my toes more, certainly seems to have sped up my run speed. Completed a nice 3.2 mile loop around the nighbourhood. Shoes felt good, though my legs ached an hour later due to the new running action.


Downloaded into Garmin Training Centre (GTC), not impressed with the GTC the map function was totally wrong. So downloaded into Sportraks. This seemed far better and correctly mapped my route.

HRM Display still seems better in GTC.


2 comments:

Formulaic said...

Garmin is great for outdoors but it sucks inside!

Without the GPS it can only display the HR (although it does a good job of showing you the rate and the zone you're in). I even called them up at Garmin and said that Polar watches calculate the calories based on HR why doesn't Garmin?

They say that they get this complaint a lot, and hopefully the engineers will add that soon.

I also like sporttracks for routing my trail. I'm starting to use the Motionbased also.

Sporttracks is nice because it can also track your equipment (like your Newtons).

Ryan said...

Your right GTC maps blow. But overall love the 305. Did you see the unveiling of the 405? Same features but much smaller. I am curious how your newtons do for your running and how well they hold up. So please, I would like as much info on them as you progress in your training. Oh yeah, great job with IMFL and see you there next year!